WHY TUBE SETTLERS?
SBS tube settlers offer an inexpensive method of upgrading existing water treatment plant clarifiers and sedimenta tion basins to improve performance. They can also reduce the tankage/footprint required in new installations or improve the performance of existing settling basins by reducing the solids loading on downstream filters.
Tube settlers capture the settle-able fine floe that escapes the clarification zone beneath the tube settlers and allows the larger floe to travel to the tank bottom in a more settle-able form. The tube settler’s channel collects solids into a compact mass which promotes the solids to slide down the tube channel.
Made of lightweight PVC, SBS tube settlers can be easily supported with rninimal structures that often inoorporate the effluent trough supports. They are available in a variety of module sizes and tube lengths to fit any tank geometry, with custom design and engineering offered by SBS ass well.
ADVANTAGES OF TUBE SETTLERS
The advantages of tube settlers can be applied to new or existing clarifiers/basins of any size:
- Clarifiers/bas ins equipped with tube settlers can operate at 2 to 4 times the normal rate of clarifiers/basins without tube settlers.
- It is possible to cut coagulant dosage by up to half while maintaining a lower influent turbidity to the treatment plant filters.
- Less filter backwashing equates to significant operating cost savings for both water and electricity.
- New installations using tube settlers can be designed smaller because of increased flow capability.
- Flow of existing water treatment plants can be increased through the addition of tube settlers.
- Tube settlers increase allowable flow capacity by expanding settling capacity and increasing the solids removal rate in settling tanks.
MATERIAL OF CONSTRUCTIONT
Tube settler modules should be constructed of evenly-spaced sheets of PVC which are solvent-welded to form a durable bond between sheets and channels. The PVC Material is inert and resistant to deterioration from naturally occurring constituents in water or waste water.
Material and finished rrro d u l e s to be used for potable water treatment plant should be Certified to ANSl/NSF-61 Standard for drinking water. Any material used for either water or waste water should include an ultraviolet radiation inhibitor.
Some tube settler modules are constructed of ABS, which is a highly flamable material. A spark from welding, drilling, or a cigarette, etc. could ignite the ABS tube settlers, causing injury to personnel and darna ge to the tube settlers and surrounding structures.
PVC modules (unlike ABS and other materials) have a specific gravity considerably greater than water and will not float. ABS modules have a specific gravity only slightly higher than water and require a tie-down sys tern.
This results in greater costs for material and installation. A tube settler module constructed of PVC will not require any hold-down system or clips. The mechanical properties of PVC exceed those of ABS, resulting in a more structurally sound installation.
The most important mechanical property of PVC, flexural modulus, is 30o/o greater then that of ABS. PVC is denser, has greater tensile strength, higher impact strength, and is much less flammable then ABS.
COMPLETE TUBE SETTLER SYSTEMS
SBS provides complete engineered tube settler system’s, including tube settlers, supports, baffles, troughs & weirs, and protective surface grating. The advantages of a SBS installation are: ·
- Single source responsibility. Avoid problems with coordination of engineering, installation, and pricing of different components.
- Save money by purchasing an economical, packaged system.
- Exclusive products and features, like AccuGrid Protective Surface Grating and integrated structural ribs, provide unique benefits to the rube settler system.
- Extensive engineering experience in both plastics design and water treatment technologies are utilized in every system we design.